The South Central Industrial Association offers Six merit-based scholarships annually: Otis T. Logue Scholarship, *Aimee Celeste Lagarde Scholarship to Fletcher, *The Billy Forshag Public School Scholarship and three additional SCIA scholarships dedicated to improving the opportunity for higher education for our youth by providing financial assistance to qualified candidates.
Six merit-based scholarships valued at $1,000.00 each will be awarded to qualified high school seniors, one of whom must be a graduate of a Terrebonne Parish Public School.
Eligibility and Qualifications
- Candidate must be a child of an SCIA member firm in good standing or the child of an employee of a SCIA member firm in good standing.
- Candidate must have a cumulative high school grade point average (at least 9-11) of 2.5 or greater based on a 4.0 scale.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 20 ACT score.(except for the Fletcher Scholarship)
- Candidate must have two letters of recommendation, one from an educator and one from an outside source (not a relative). Both letters must accompany the application. (Waived for 2021 due to COVID-19)
- Candidate must have participated in extra curricular activities and provide community service activities OR must have work experience in its place
- Candidate must have an essay of 500-700 words, typed, double-spaced, with references to research sources, if applicable, on individual goals (SEE QUESTIONS BELOW)
- The completed application must be submitted to the SCIA, P.O. Box 2143, Houma, Louisiana 70361-2143 on or before April 30 (Extended to May 15 due to COVID 19) of the candidates’ high school senior year.
- Candidate must attend an accredited Louisiana two or four year college program.
- *The Aimiee Celest Lagarde scholarshipis dedicated to Fletcher. The candidates do not have to have a designated ACT score but must have at least a 2.0 as a graduating senior.
- *The Billy Forshag Public School Scholarship is for graduates of a Terrebonne Parish Public High School.
- Candidates must be willing to have their name and amount of assistance specified in an annual report provided to the SCIA.
ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO WRITE AN ESSAY OF 500-700 WORDS, TYPED, DOUBLE SPACED, ON THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS. THE ESSAY MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICATION. WHAT IS YOUR CAREER GOAL? HOW DID YOU ARRIVE AT YOU ARRIVE AT YOUR GOAL AND WHAT STEPS WILL YOU TAKE TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL?
For the first time, SCIA is offering two needs-based scholarships, in addition to their annual merit-based scholarships. One needs-based scholarship will be offered to a student attending Fletcher Technical Community College and the other to an undergraduate or graduate student attending Nicholls State University.
Unlike the merit-based scholarships, once the needs-based scholarship is awarded, the student can continue to receive the same financial assistance from SCIA each semester for up to four years, as long as the student meets a minimum GPA. In addition, each semester, a new student will be awarded another scholarship that they too can carry from semester to semester! “Essentially, its like SCIA is helping to put students through four years of college!” said Executive Director, Christy Alley Naquin.
Eligibility and Qualifications
- Full time student
- Employee, child or grandchild of an SCIA member company
- Applicant receiving no academic scholarship aid
- Applicant must be a resident of Lafourche, Terrebonne or St. Mary parish and have graduated from one of these high schools.
- Applicant must have and maintain a 2.5 GPA. If applicant is a first-time freshman, he or she mush have graduated from a high school with at least a 2.5 GPA.